Aleph is a national, not-for-profit 501(c)(3), publicly-supported charitable institution founded in 1981 by Rabbi Sholom D. Lipskar. For nearly a quarter century, Aleph has been providing critical social services to families in crisis; addressing the pressing religious, educational, humanitarian and advocacy needs of individuals in institutional environments; and implementing solutions to significant issues relating to our criminal justice system, with an emphasis on families, faith-based rehabilitation and preventive ethics education.
Operation: Enduring Traditions - Programs for the Military
Aleph supports and assists thousands of Jewish men and women serving this great nation in the U.S. Armed Forces with Jewish books, material, and moral and spiritual support.Jews in the military face unique challenges in maintaining their Jewishness. Away from home and community, Jews in uniform are often challenged by not having the resources available to be able to study about and observe Torah and Mitzvot. A connection with their Jewish observances, traditions and prayers offers them a sense of family and community.
The Aleph Institute supports the troops. As part of our very own "Operation Enduring Traditions," Aleph has been distributing thousands of packages to soldiers for every Jewish holiday including Purim, Passover, High Holidays and Chanukah. These packages are sent to Army, Navy, Air Force and Marine bases here in the United States, and to personnel stationed abroad such as Baghdad, Mosul and Tikrit IRAQ, Japan, Korea, Kuwait, Bahrain, Afghanistan, England, Germany, Turkey, Bosnia Saudi Arabia, Italy, Kosovo, Qatar - and even Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.
We have also shipped packages to Navy ships in the Arabian Sea. Besides Holiday supplies, Aleph recently shipped over 3,000 soft-cover pocket-sized Hebrew/English Psalm books along with other religious books for military personnel to carry with them and turn to for prayer and security at all times. Aleph is a source of HOPE and SUPPORT for our Jewish brothers and sisters.
We do this through our continuous spiritual support and activities throughout the year. YOU can be the one to ensure their vital spiritual and physical needs, and help them EVERY STEP OF THE WAY. Your support will enable Aleph to continue its vital work and give you a share in the merits of its activities.
Aleph's Mission to the Military
- Supplying materials and personnel with alacrity, efficiency and logistical immediacy.
- Assisting and supporting chaplains and equipping Jewish lay leaders at military bases worldwide and increasing their knowledge of Torah and understanding of Mitzvos;
- Creating opportunities for Jewish soldiers with hands-on "learning and living Jewish" experiences;
- Assisting Jewish lay leaders in organizing events at their respective military installations;
- Increasing the number of study and worship opportunities for Jewish military personnel;
- Facilitating the ability of Jewish military personnel to practice their Jewishness;
- Coordinating Jewish resources at military installations.
The Aleph Institute's
OPERATION: ENDURING TRADITIONS
Military Programs include:
- Holiday Outreach Programs:
- High Holiday Services and Provisions
- Chanukah Provisions
- Purim Megillah Readings and Provisions
- Passover Services and "Seder-in-a-Box" Provisions
- Educational Materials
- Prayer Books
- Torah Correspondence Courses
- Week In Review
- Wisdom to GoTM Torah Tapes
- National Tefillin Bank
- Rabbinical Visitations
- The Menorah Newsletter
Learn more about Aleph by clicking here.